Globe-trotting graduate Aimee Fitzgerald has farewelled her university days today armed with a teaching degree and a well-used passport.

The 23-year-old, originally from Gilgandra, participated in the University of Newcastle’s International Leadership Experience and Development Program (iLead) and also spread her wings with travel while completing her studies.

“Throughout my university study I had the privilege of setting foot in 13 different countries. Some travel was private with friends I had met at university and two trips were part of the iLead program.”

As part of her first iLead experience Aimee was selected to represent the University on a cultural exchange tour in Shohoku, Japan. During her exchange, Aimee stayed at the Sony Institute of Technology dorms and spent time with a local family who took her to Tokyo Disneyland, a local school and introduced her to the mayor of Tokyo.

In the second program, Aimee travelled to India and volunteered with LifeHouse Charitable Trust in Agra (the city of the Taj), set up to help the children whose lifestyle is to beg on the railway line.

Aimee graduated today with a Bachelor of Teaching (Primary)/Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies with Distinction.

“I really wanted to work with children and coming from a family of teachers it was impossible not to join them – I think teaching is in my blood.”

More than 1,000 students have celebrated the completion of their studies during ceremonies at the Callaghan campus over the past two days.

Read more about Aimee in the Newcastle Herald.

Today’s graduates:

The University of Newcastle graduates – Faculty of Science and Information Technology

The University of Newcastle – Faculty of Education and Arts